My name is Cathy Murillo, and I am running to represent our community in the State Assembly.
My experience as the Mayor of Santa Barbara, former reporter in Ventura County (covering environment, government, and water issues), and active supporter of organized labor makes me a strong candidate for this office. My platform values: protecting the natural environment, improving public education, and creating economic opportunity for District 37 residents and all Californians.
I offer a proven record of progressive change and practical results, as well as executive leadership experience in elected office, which includes:
- Regional work in transportation (rail service in particular), affordable housing, homelessness
- Balancing budgets, building back reserves after the Great Recession, and creating new revenue sources
- Managing drought and disaster response, coordinating with partner agencies
- Demonstrated ability to build personal and professional relationships, work well with others, uphold Democratic Party values
My areas of focus would be: improving the lives of working families, making California climate resilient, promoting housing production that works for each community, transitioning from oil and gas development to renewable energy, expanding access to higher education, among other priorities. I am committed to working hard in both Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties, and holding regular office hours in all corners of the District.
I would be honored to have your vote.
- California Labor Federation
- California Federation of Teachers
- California Nurses Association
- Ventura Women’s Political Council
- California Environmental Justice Alliance
- Central Coast Alliance United for a Sustainable Economy